PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 23:54
Flugbegleiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lizzydizzy
If you are one of those old dears out there that think the new QD or QCCA crew will get the chop over you due to the "last on first off" rule in your EBA, you a very sadly mistaken.

Why would Qantas make redundant the $36K base "on the cheap" crew, when they can get rid of the 10 yr old beehive on $85K.

Besides why would Qantas pay to train these 'dizzylizzies" in the past 12-24 months just to give them the chop.
First of all, enough with the sarcasm. I've been a hostie for over 15 years and I don't want to see anyone go, new or old. Secondly, if you are going to post then post factually and without the intent to mislead the readers. If you want to compare base wages between QAL and QCCA, then it is more like $48,000 (QAL) and $36,000 (QCCA). Your allowances and extras top up that base to give you a very healthy pay still, although obviously, and unfortunately, less than QAL crew. By implying that QCCA crew only earn $36,000 and QAL crew earn $85,000, you are being dishonest.

And it doesn't matter what Qantas would "like". Of course they would rather get rid of QALs if there were no cost involved, but both you and I have signed an EBA which ensures the "last on first off" policy. I truly hope it doesn't come to that, though. As mentioned earlier, though, it costs a lot more to lay off QAL crew in the short-term.

Regarding the ALAEA industrial action last year, I knew it cost the company a lot but WOW! $150,000,000! And to think it could have cost a lot more if you guys didn't back down. To be honest, I'm still a little pissed off that you did back down and didn't stick to your guns for what was at the time a fair and reasonable pay increase of 5%. You only got 3% with some other little fancy bits. But what you set out for was a 5% increase to your base pay. Imagine how much it wouldn't have cost if QF had just given you a fair pay rise straight up.

Just like before, I hold Geoff ******** and the QF management responsible for that fight and the subsequent financial loss. It was years of "take take take" from their employees that caused that, taking from us while giving themselves massive pay increases and bonuses and patting each other on the back telling each other what a great job THEY were doing! Not you or I, no! "We've done a lot more than any bloody union", said Geoff (or something like that).

It'll be interesting to see if Alan Joyce can get some staff support now that he is going to need it. I think many of us have learnt our lesson the last time we helped out by taking a wage freeze for 18 months; that, on top of 10 years of minimal, below-inflation pay rises.

I'm just sayin'.

PS: ElPerro, you are what is wrong with this country these days. You think you are smarter than the average bloke with a more "big picture" view of the world. Your greedy, capitalistic, corporate philosophies and ideas repulse me. Don't even bother commenting on this, because nothing you can say will change my opinion of people like you. You are here just to stir up trouble.