PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali pirates hijack ship; 20 Americans aboard
Old 14th Apr 2009, 23:53
Load Toad

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a serious failure of logic in your posts
OK - so how is my logic flawed? I suggest violence is a last resort - that used without caution will lead to innocent deaths both in the offensive term (which should be dropped from our vocabulary) collateral damage and in terms of retribution killings. And I suggest that some posters have an over simplified view of the situation regarding Somali / Somalian piracy. I further suggested that the answer lay within the massive issue of trying to sort something out in Somali.

So my logic is flawed is it?

Pentagon looks to move battle against pirates ashore - CNN.com

Pentagon planners are preparing a variety of options for dealing with Somali pirates, and a United Nations resolution gives them the authority to conduct operations inside Somalia.

"The ultimate solution for piracy is on land," said Vice Adm. William Gortney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command and the Combined Maritime Forces.

"Piracy around the world stems from activity where there is lawlessness, lack of governance, economic instability; things of that nature. And wherever you have that, you're going to have criminal activity at sea," he said at a Monday briefing.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Monday the military alone can't solve the problem.

"There is no purely military solution to it," he said at the Marine Corps War College in Quantico, Virginia. "And as long as you've got this incredible number of poor people and the risks are relatively small, there's really no way in my view to control it unless you get something on land that begins to change the equation for these kids."

The fight at sea can be treacherous. The area involved off the coasts of Somalia and Kenya, including the Gulf of Aden, is more than 1.1 million square miles -- four times the size of the state of Texas.

The military has aerial surveillance and unmanned drones, but even a limited strike risks injuring Somali civilians.
I can't see a great error in what I've posted - apart from not shouting 'Yee Haa lets go shoot me some pirates'.

HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Why Somali piracy is booming - by former hostage victim - Telegraph