PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 14th Apr 2009, 23:29
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Disgraceful is probably too kind a term Pretzal, but I certainly hear ya'. I think most people, once they have been kicked whilst down, will feel the need to respond. But how to do it?

Protected industrial action is a crock. A piss weak hangover from the previous government that created so many obstacles many people simply give up in frustration! Also, any sort of "organised" industrial action in the current climate will lead to a customer backlash, and trust me, we will be seen as the bad guys. REX management won't care, they'll simply cancel flights and blame the "greedy" pilots! Christ, when the best and brightest were walking out the door in droves, and REX didn't lift a finger, JD even resorted to veiled accusations when pilots legitimately went sick! What do you think they'll resort to this time?

Make no mistake, we are dealing with a ruthless and determined enemy. An enemy that has the resources to follow their own agenda ($6 mil for a Cadet program, $660K to date for a flawed PC tablet trim system) yet not one cent for additional Sim training in the light of an inflexible check system and record failures!

Forget industrial action. We'll just be playing into their hands. REX's strong financial position is ironically our greatest obstacle. So what can we do?
  • STOP WORKING ON DAYS OFF NOW!!!
Recently a senior captain spent his entire leave working for the money! Dollars I might add, equivalent to 20% less than what was being paid 20 years ago! Now that's his choice, but when is enough, enough! The fact that the company was forced to part with no less than 20 + "Casual days" to this individual alone, says it all. REX are chronically short of Captains. We are selling our one chance to pressure management into acknowledgeing our true worth.

The second tier are the Check and Trainers. On numerous ocassions they have been called upon to fill the gaps when no line Captain has been available or willing to sacrifice his/her day off. How often have you guys been pressured to save the day. C'mon be fair dinkum. Do you honestly think you are benefitting any of us in the long run. The company won't go broke, but they may just get an appreciation for the realities of the situation.

Do it for a month guys, and see what happens. I think you'll be surprised. It really is the only weapon we have!

P.S. Exactamondo No1Dear.