PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol Britannia details
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 18:44
Lancman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
' evening Falcon, it's fun to split hairs innit! The last bit of movement of the reverse lever to which I referred wasn't so much a movement as it was a confirmation that the lever was firmly at the front end of the quadrant detent, and I'm certain that the Engineer involved was very well aware of that. To save you a trip to the attic, the three solenoids were the fine pitch stop withdrawal solenoid (self explanatory), the override solenoid which delivered full PCU oil pressure to the propellor piston, and the reverse solenoid which reversed the oil flow so that the blades went to the reverse pitch stops and stayed there thus becoming a fixed pitch prop. During a full power reverse landing or aborted take off the Engineer eased the power levers forward as the aircraft slowed to avoid a prop overspeed.
I suppose it could be argued that if that single microswitch was faulty (which fits the symptoms) the crew was at fault in not diagnosing the problem and taking corrective action soon enough. But there was certainly no SOP to cover this eventuality and it would've needed some very quick thinking by both Engineer and Captain to recover the situation. And the usual first reaction when you don't get the expected response to an oft-repeated action is to do it again, but harder. And the aircraft would've accelerated. There but for the grace of God..........