PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A400 latest..
Thread: A400 latest..
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2002, 21:02
propulike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Gorilla, for heavens sake stop believing that the more you slate the 'J' the worse it will be! I'd love to say that the only reason the 'K' doesn't spear in at every opportunity at LL is because there's an engineer clogging up the flight deck, but the HFs are able to work on the hour every hour for nearlly useless QNHs without you.

The 'J' is more capable at the Strat role than the K already and will be v. v. good at the TAC role thank you very much as the trials are proving. (And as the WC-10 doesn't do going in the weeds I can't really take too much umbrance from BEagles comments although up 'til now I've quite respected his more impartial posts).

As for C-17s to do one job, dream-on about 767s for another, A400 for a bit more and the Hercs to mop up the rest, yup it'd work, but the ONE thing specified in the initial procurement forecast was that the RAF DIDN'T want to operate 3 aircraft types (namely C-17, FLA as it was then and C130-J), never mind the 4 we've all worked ourselves up to so far.

The perfect aircraft was always going to be a cheap C-17. Failing that, a Herc with a bigger freight bay (ie A400 but now) and some passenger things to do the non-military stuff.