PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Main Gear Boxes and The Grand Lottery
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 13:54
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
JimL, I take the point that there are/have been some real "brains" working the issue of HUMS indications. Having said that, a starting point for pumas would be:

COCKPIT THRESHOLD ALERT for all MGB, TGB, IGB and ECU HOT-END bearing pickups. These being the weak points in the design concept.

I would consider being oblidged to land at the nearest safe site a considerable advantage rather than a complication!!!

Like I said before (and on the other thread) the jury is effectively still out on this one and until we know the EXACT circumstance of the Operator's response to the data they may or may not have had available prior releasing the aircraft to service we cannot know if the the requirement for an instant indication is valid let alone viable.

However, if it is the case that the HUMs only began squeaking during the fatal flight then there surley must be an argument for letting the crew know what is going on in the MGB during flight as the implications in this case would be that rapid and catastrophic deterioration can occur within the space of one flight. I have always hoped that the HUMS would have speaked long before the failure propogates to its full conclusion.

DB