PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali pirates hijack ship; 20 Americans aboard
Old 14th Apr 2009, 13:42
Load Toad

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, four more ships hijacked in the last 48 hours. On one 22 Filipino seamen who I doubt will get the same attention as the US crew. Whatever.

I have read BHD and a hell of a lot of other bewks. For all the good it has done me. Sarcasm intended.

Many of the ideas on here (and note I am not wholly against using force against people who threaten or harm others especially innocent others) are based firmly on the premise 'It is a nice feeling from far away to think of shooting stuff and turning people into mince; especially when I have minimal knowledge or experience of the situation - for surely this would make it all better.'

Well - it doesn't - not by itself and barring a massive increase in military forces and a massive increase in control of shipping the pirates will still find rich pickings and the pirates bosses will get even more $$$. So unless we can find a way to deal with Somalia - I predict this carrying on with a good while with an increase in this 'collateral damage' - which is perfectly OK of course unless it is our collateral damage.