PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA not renewing 70% Expat Contracts
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 11:53
cpt777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can find the following in ALPAS.org homepage. Be your own judge of what's the situation. Personally, I think it's a well written piece.

For those of you who may think the local pilots are too hostile towards expats, think again. No other country's labour laws will EVER allow any local to be retrenched before an expat. And in thise case, for those who do pay attention to the whole economic downturn in Singapore, you will know that the common folks are generally getting really nationalistic or pist off as during the last SARS episode, some locals actually lost jobs instead of expats. This does result in SQ HR's decision to take the cautious move in not renewing ALL expats' contracts this year, not even the Expat that had proposed and assisted in saving >1million bucks of fuel savings with his route short cut idea on the A340-500.

In all, I do totally agree that it's absolutely absurd that heads have to roll with <1Billion POST TAX profit forecast for coming year(not this year, but 2009-10), nothing is stopping us from NOT rejoining after things start to pick up. But my guess is, they won't have any problem getting their numbers when the time comes. That's SIA, too many waiting in line. Please don't bother telling me otherwise.
As for me, my choice of workplace is always in Asia. Now that my service is no longer required. I'm heading North for better luck. And all the best to the rest in their own pursue.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
News Release
Apr-7-2009, 13:02