PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 10:53
ElPerro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find that Joyce is cunningly trying to swing back votes to the company by laying blame at the feet of the ALAEA.
The guy is cutting costs because of a reduction in revenue. That's it. When revenue declines costs become a focus - that's how companies survive. I'm not sure what your issue is. If your unions have driven up costs during the good times and won't work with the company to cut wages during the bad what do you think should happen? AJ said the engineers cost the company $150 million. I wonder if less jobs would be being lost if that wasn't the case. If QF was $150 million stronger would the job losses be less?

How many people will vote for across the board wage cuts? It's pretty obvious. It's easy to get a majority for across the board wage rises when unions claim "look at the profits" , it's next to impossible to get wage cuts when the market says "look at the forecast losses". What do you think the company should do?? Should the owners take a loss over the next few years to protect the young / new employees the union uses as bargaining chips?

He's not laying blame at ALAEA, he's pointing out fact. You "won" as you saw it and drove up costs. Don't shy away from it now - do we need to revist those threads here with union members talking of the joy of 'getting what they wanteed'. How many young guys now lose their job because of it. Everyone is dealing with that ALAEA action. You think the industrial action cost nothing? You need to think again. It was pushed and pushed hard - and if you think it didn't effect the airlines current position then you agree with Stephen Purvinas . If not you can email him what you think at [email protected]. If you've lost your job perhaps he can help you. He advocated help in times of need however I doubt he'll help now other than blame the company. Stephen pushed action that cost the company $150 million. I do wonder how many people wouldn't have been losing there jobs at the moment without that cost.

Last edited by ElPerro; 14th Apr 2009 at 11:14.