PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A man can dream
Thread: A man can dream
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2009, 21:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, but that 200 hours would be all training, mostly with some of the best instructors in the world, in aircraft that pushed him constantly. Plus, it was at a time when we had a very strong need to get pilots in Spitfires quickly.

That is very different to 200 hours in a modern and relatively undemanding GA environment.

It was obviously doable, since many young men in many countries did it at that time. But, I'd take a new PPL as maybe equivalent to 30 hours of that - so you're looking at 170 hours (ish) of robust training in demanding aircraft - leading up to reasonable hours in something similar to a Harvard, just as it would have been there.

That said, there's no need now to know how to fight a Spitfire, only to fly it so, maybe, you could bring that back to 100 hours. Maybe - but it would still have to be very demanding training.

Just as a semi-comparison, I fly in a syndicate a Stinson S108-2 which is a 1940s taildragger of WW2 ancestry, with a relatively small (165hp) engine and moderately demanding handling (certainly harder work than, say, a Cub - although just as fun). About 1 in 3 of PPLs who try to join the syndicate can fly the aircraft well enough to satisfy the rest of the syndicate that we'd trust them with it unsupervised. This is a much, easier aeroplane to fly than the Harvard or N3N-3 (both wartime trainers that I have flown) and from everything I've heard from reliable sources, the Spitfire is a much harder aeroplane than those.

G

N.B. Quick and gratuitous plug - whilst I'm very happy personally, a couple of our syndicate members are trying to sell their Stinson shares, so if you genuinely are interested in some warbird-ish flying, drop me a PM and I can tell you a bit more and put you in touch with the chaps trying to sell. Or chip in something for petrol and give me an excuse to go flying!