PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ006 final report out 26/4/02
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2002, 14:36
hawkeye18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi In The Slot,

I totally agree with you on the point that at all times we must be extra cautious, especially on wet and rainy nites!

I am quite certain that ATC procedures require the Tower controller to positively indetified a departing aircraft either visually or electronically (Surface Movement Radar - SMR ) prior to issuing of takeoff clearance.

The reason I mentioned takeoff mimima with reference to a non SMR equipped airfield is to highlight the difficult position the Tower controller will face,... when visibilty deteriorated below his maximum visual range but it is still within takeoff minima for departing aircraft.

When this occurs, like on the nite of SQ006, it effectively took the Tower controller out of the safety loop as he could not possibily see beyound the prevailing airfield visibility ., and in effect he was giving takeoff clearance "blind" ...... the only information/ feedback will be from the aircraft( pilot) which he is supposed to direct/control!!.

The same predicament will be face by the ground controller using good old "MK I eyeballs" in providing surface movement control.

So my point is :

Takeoff minima established for a non-SMR equipped Airports must be in touch with reality....... the limit of the human eyes , both pilots and controllers.

Dun expect the controller to have better eyesight then aircrew and be able to see thru rain and clouds!

Cheers!

Hawkeye

Last edited by hawkeye18; 6th May 2002 at 15:51.