PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali pirates hijack ship; 20 Americans aboard
Old 13th Apr 2009, 14:31
drustsonoferp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clockwork Mouse: Broadly speaking I agree. There must be a fightback against piracy - at present pirates are making millions in a chronically deprived country, which only serves as an advertisement of recruitment for others. I am not convinced that identification of pirate vessels at sea is wonderfully easy, but my major disagreement with you is on 'pussyfooting with human rights' as you put it.

Human rights must be regarded as universal and sacrosanct for us(which at this point is who ever will be standing against piracy) to have any international credibility. We cannot and must not ignore law as and when we feel like it to justify our own ends. We certainly cannot play the good guy policeman unless we play to the rules. Ignoring rules whilst in pursuit of our goal of securing free transit for our businesses and shipping will likely result in disaster at the first dubious scuttling or death.

Very much as world opinion galvanised against the west in the wake of the Iraq conflict. Any one with enough anger and possibly little to lose can be a suicide bomber, or wield an RPG or SA7, and so long as 'we' (broadly the west, esp US and UK) give sufficient moral ammunition away, we will have a problem somewhere in the world, even on our own shores.

The problem in Somalia must be firmly dealt with, but in accordance with the rule book. And no, I don't know enough about the rule book to make the logical next post.