PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brinkmanship
Thread: Brinkmanship
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2009, 10:34
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately it is so difficult to be brave when any job is a good job and I have 2 big boys to put through university...
Yes, but it's even harder to be "brave" when you are in the queue for unemployed benefits.

Those "big boys" should have been prepared by their parents TO STAND ON THEIR OWN TWO FEET....failure to teach them how to be independent, self-supporting adults, is poor parenting.

my graduate daughter thanked me for that, when she watched her "freshman" peers frittering their grant-money, shopping expensively,unable to cook, do basic housekeeping. etc......she supported herself,ran a modest car, did a Doctorate, had a job before she graduated.

At her graduation ceremony, one of her peers was still "trying" to find a job and he and his "supportive " parents were stunned to learn that Daughter had earned over £40 k in the interim and paid off all overdrafts and expensive loans.

Teach your kids how to survive in the "real" world.....spoonfeeding them and wiping their ass just undermines them....yes, I know you want the best for them but sometimes we're misguided as to "best"

So, just set your own stall out, hey? As others have advised..look round, plan an exit-strategy or a carreer change (I've had 5 major changes of direction)
maybe go self-employed.....if you're dead, you can't spend it!