PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Read the Books !
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2009, 07:34
Terry McCassey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read the Books !

I have of late noticed a very worrying trend starting in this forum. There seems to be people reading the Engineer's forum that try and take an easy route to fixing aircraft by asking for fixes and opinions on line. Sure the Internet joins millions worldwide and this can seem an easy option for finding ideas instead of using the correct manuals and publications. The recent post concerning the CF6 reverser lockout was frankly, unbelievable. Think about it, before the Internet, would the bloke have been helped if he had put a postcard in his local corner shop window for help ?, I think not. What is also of great concern is that the guy was seemingly without any approved manuals and publications what so ever in the deserts of SHJ. I can understand his frustrations, I have been there before myself. It is however vital that we steer maintenance engineering back onto the path of using the MM/TSM and whatever manufacturers' manuals are required to legally and safely dispatch aircraft. I think we are all fairly conversant with the huge changes in our terms and conditions over the past 10 years or so and the cold shoulder we have experienced by our licensing authorities. Take note of the pending manslaughter cases in Europe and the apparent distancing of employer and authorities, even more reason to get it right. To people offering advice I would urge you, before you press the send button, ask yourself are you qualified to comment and offer advice that some might take without reservation, most of the time you just don't know who you are talking to . . .

All I suggest is that you be very very careful before you take advice from ANYONE on line. Please keep it safe and help promote the highly professional industry we are in. READ THE APPROVED PUBLICATIONS TO KEEP IT SAFE.

There - rant over . . . .