PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Avionics Designers here?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 23:04
theavionicsbloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bombay

For you sort of application, a higher end PIC processor may cope but in all honesty, for what you are thinking about then I think you will need to go down the route of a conventional pc based system.

I know this may be hard to believe but, Most role equipment based avionics navigation systems are now basically a pc using a standard Intel Processor. Some are even running a standard Windows XP Pro operating system.

I have recently put in to service an aircraft with 3! PC systems running the video & mapping systems.

Once you have this in place you can then employ standard or advanced database technology were data analysis becomes relatively simple.

Modern .net framework CLR (Common Language Runtime) software eg VB 2005 makes develpoment easy. Production and modification management becomes efficient.

Data transfer, well this then becomes an simple and obvious fibre optic solution.

So as you can see, this has got to be the future.

In reality though, the difficulty with the above is certification, as RFI hardware and software reliability becomes difficult to substantiate and demonstrate because,well franky, It's a new idea! However, I have so far managed to achieve this in none safety critical systems.

Last edited by theavionicsbloke; 12th Apr 2009 at 23:23. Reason: More Info