PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Sims, which one?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 19:38
al446

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Davy07

I haven't checked frame rates, I read where to do it once but feels OK to me, could maybe do with more mem as I get glitches when it reads from the H/D but otherwise OK.

I have one add-on, an A380, but I tend to stick to smaller more GA a/c as I want more to learn how to navigate etc rather than imagine I am landing a big jet although that can be a fun distraction. Got the A380 just to find out what the FMC is about. Also got some scenery but default is not improved.

As I posted earlier, if a m/c will run Vista it should run FSX. For Vitesse, as far as I am aware, before m/s disbanded the development team they wrote into one of the SPs the optimisation to use multi core properly, I dont mind being corrected on that.

The OP asked which flight sim? No m/c or spec was mentioned. I have only put forward my experience with FSX to assist him/her. I apologise if my posts sometimes seem scathing, they are meant to be with those who have an all singing, all dancing m/c and insist it is the least that can be used.

To the OP, there is also Flight.org that provides a (huge) download for free. I tried it but have not had the time or inclination to get my head round it.

As a final thought. Perhaps, rather than spend the best part of £90 on the prog (£30+), a joystick (£30), add-ons (£arm + leg) and mem upgrade, just go to your nearest flying school and take a trial lesson, this may inform you which aspects of a f/s you want to concentrate on. I am ex-RAF so have not needed to do so. I have seen published photos of rigs that have cost almost as much a share in a small a/c, unless there is a medical reason you can't fly what is the point?

PS Davy07 On your last m/c did you have vitual memory enabled? If you didn't, that is your reason for an out of memory message, if you did then you had a h/d problem.

Last edited by al446; 12th Apr 2009 at 19:49.