PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Measuring Resistance Of EGT Probes (CF6)
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 16:18
MrFixer!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSEU,I also want to ask the same question???? Which CF6 are you on about??? I have also looked at AMMs for our CF6-80C2 on 747-400, it doesnt say anything similar to what you experienced.

the Description of EGT ADJUSTMENT TEST says:

Type K thermocouple resistance values are obtained by measuring and recording the circuit resistance test value when it becomes stable. Reverse the test lead polarity and measure and record the circuit resistance test value again when it becomes stable. Average these two readings, and then subtract the test lead resistance from the averaged reading to obtain the circuit resistance value.

AND I THINK YOU THEN MOVED ON TO DO THE OPTIONAL TEST!!!!!!!

and what kind of Multimeter were you using???????

, the AMM says you need a Adaptor Unit/ Special tester, which is SPL-5666 :

HERES THE OPTIONAL TEST :

Disconnect the adapter cables from the junction box.(b) Connect the adapter unit to the upper thermocouple cable connector P3 as follows:

1) Connect the adapter cable 101-00905 found in the SPL-5666 EGT test kit, to the upper thermocouple cable connector P3.

(c) Do the steps that follow to measure the resistance of the upper harness/probe circuits:
NOTE: This EGT indicating system can use either type 1 (Ametek) EGT probes or type 2 (Weston) EGT probes. The resistance values will be slightly different.

1) Set the adapter unit switch to each position shown in the table below and push the PUSH TO MEASURE switch.
Table 501.
ADAPTER UNIT SWITCH POSITION
UPPER HARNESS PROBE LOCATION
A/E
No. 1
B/E
No. 2
C/E
No. 7
D/E
No. 8

and goes on and on...........so mate dont know what engine you are working on and what kind of Tester were you using????

You sure your start was not an Adjustment Test and then moved on to the Optional Test???? (using the multimeter and not the approved Kit).

Doesnt matter whether you worked on this system or not......but if thats how it was done the results Should not have been what you got!!!!