PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part M - CAMO - etc
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 12:27
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft tech records

I feel that some extream positions are being taken on this thread, a CAMO has to ensure as far as is practicable that all the maintenance tasks are compleated and time life items are all in date.

Some form of documentry evidence is required, If the last CAMO had put an entry in the log book that a Mag had a 500 hour check at XXXX hours then that is good enough for me and I would program the next Mag inspection at XXXX hours +500.

The problems come when the mainteance records are poor and incomplete, the fact is that you cant trust some owners to tell the truth when they think it might save them some money, I have had one owner lie to me to try to avoid having to pay for a major safety related AD on both the mags on his aircraft.

If i had taken the guy at his word and the aircraft was involved in a major accident what would have been the outcome for me?

Recent events indicate long and expensive court action with the dependents of the pilot/passengers seeking damages and that is likely to be the best outcome, if someone decides that this is criminal negilgence then a manslaugter charge would be made.

So for taking the owners word it is not unrealistic to say that I could be jailed and pennyless.

So that Bose-x is why I am very carefull about what I put my name to because if people like you die in a crash I expect your dependents to be very quick to court to seek compensation................... this is why Engineers are very keen to keep you alive despite your opinion that we are all money grabbing pirates.

Last edited by A and C; 12th Apr 2009 at 14:28.