PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Main Gear Boxes and The Grand Lottery
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 01:39
The Sultan

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Flyt3est

I am making no assumptions. I am very knowlegdable in HUMS and I am not dismissing it as not beneficial, as history has shown it is one piece of the safety puzzle. It is an extremely useful tool, and if it is the primary tool for chip detection it is critical.

The issue is that those who claim vibration monitoring is superior to, or can eliminate, debris monitoring border on delusional. It is only a great addition to the tool kit. For vibration to be generated you have to have an actionable level of damage. Problem with cracks on high stress gears are that they may propogate to a critical level before any loss of stiffness is noticed in a daily check of HUMS. It is basically good, good and bang. Relative to root cause of many failures debris generates before enough surface damage occurs to provide an actionable vibration signature. If the chips are magnetic and the chip detectors are well placed, chip lights will be the first indication. Obviously, if the result of the Bond accident is causing a more frequent check of the mag plugs, the root cause is made from magnetic material.

As stated above all detection methods have a place. The industry and regs need to pick the low hanging fruit which has been missed.

The Sultan