PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia commenced BNE-LAX today
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 00:10
Red Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that the importance of the Delta / VA link-up is not instantly apparent, but:
1. There are 300 mill. Yanks and only 20 mill. Aussies
2. Most Americans prefer to travel on their own carriers, irrespective of the superior service on the foreign carrier (apple pie, star-spangled banner and all that)
3. After the NWA merger, Delta is now the worlds biggest carrier in passenger numbers and a lot of those heading our way will now be moved onto the VA flight, whether they deliberatly sought out the "Virgin experience", or not. The yield this will provide, may just make the difference whether they can/are able to ride out the soft markets over the next year or two.

If I was doubtful (and yes I was) before, whether VA could succesfully launch in the bear-market we're in, the Delta deal has changed my mind on the matter. VA has the bees-knees of longhaul airplane, the lowest costbase (by a considerable margin) of any international carrier able to fly the pacific route, and in the Delta link-up - a formiderable partner that surely will have QA/AA sit up and take notice. It's a horrible time to launch a new airline, but the markets WILL improve eventually and VA will emerge a force to be reckoned with.