PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much security?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2009, 23:34
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rossian
OK Keef

Did as you suggested, and came up "Failed" in big red letters for port 80 and 443. Now what?

I already run Avast! and Ccleaner. Suggestions?
Given your comments above about what you want to use your computer for, you won't want to put "security" on those ports: you just want to close them.

How that is done will depend on what kit you have. Specifically, whether it's a modem, or a modem-router, and what sort thereof. The easiest way is to read off the make and model number - or just post a pic of the label. From that, one of us can probably look up how to do that on your device.

If it's a USB modem, the answer may be to install a software firewall like ZoneAlarm, which is very good (but a bit of a pain at first). If it's a separate modem/router, then there is (hopefully) a way to tell it to close those ports.

I could wax lyrical on the philosophy of computer design ("make it able to do everything" ... to which the cynical would add "so that we geeks are always assured of a job sorting it"). It's a pain in the neck for users who don't care how it works, but it's essential for compulsive dabblers like me.