PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Avionics Designers here?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2009, 20:37
muduckace
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually more or less a system designer too, but I'm putting together requirements for a system; specifically an aircraft condition-monitoring & management system. If it was just going to log data I could have done with any processor, but my system has to be able to resolve faults (root cause analysis and such) plus maybe do trend analysis to figure out if things are going to really go bad some time down the line.

And yes, I've had a gander around Honeywell and other such companies' sites and they (understandably) hold their cards close to their chest, especially for the aircraft being designed today. I don't want to reply on a 15-year-old standard (ARINC 624-1) built to certify systems from those days...
Most aircraft use processing power with the same reliability expectations as the rest of the system 150% of max load. At a minimum I would design one that is redundant to all functions EG: 2 processors capable of 150% data transfer comparing data from aircraft components "Monotoring". Pre determined operating thresholds are established and if "A" channel reports a fault but "B" is within limits, the aircraft is still capable of operating on the "B" channel.

Some modern aircraft are designed with up to 9 multi function channels, they do not report a failure until multiple lanes of redundancy are used.

To discuss root cause with a little more clarity, we could take a flight control actuator that has manual feedback (indication), and manual valve operating control on 2 channels, then seperately autoflight feedback and valve control split on the same 2 channels. 4 components supplying compared data, one goes out of limits and gets reported as a fault. Generally aircraft do not compile trend analisys but the airline or component manufacturer will. Unfortunately most of us are working with what we consider new aircraft on a ARINC databus standard.

Not sure what you are looking for or what exactly is expected of you, would be happy to share what I know about average aircraft avionics systems.

I will say though that the corperate world is on the leading edge of civilian avionics, alot more software based function, smaller system computers (cards in a card file). The G450/550 and CitationX are great examples, never got my hands on the Globemaster.