PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europe and Asian airlines grow whilst standards fall
Old 11th Apr 2009, 18:41
point8six

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in my last airline - while I sympathise with your views on "button-pushers" v "stick-and-rudder types" in today's training philosophy, can you enlighten me as to which a/c type + airline + licensing authority allows "hand-flown cat 3 approaches with one or two engines out", please? I am about to book a flight and wish to avoid the above! -or was it said to emphasise your points?
Whether or not your co-pilot has 250 hrs TT or 10,000hrsTT, he/she still needs supervision. That's where the Captain either helps or hinders the co-pilots' progression. No airline is going to reverse it's training policy unless dictated to by the relevant authority and cost-cutting is here to stay.
Actually, in my last airline, I suggested that spare simulator (B744) time be used to put new (250-300 hrs ex-cadets) through a structured programme designed to improve their handling, monitoring and recovery skills. I think that after my retirement, that idea was binned due to cost. Ah well.