PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli ditch North Sea G-REDL: NOT condolences
Old 11th Apr 2009, 16:23
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
mckeg4

If you are asking "could it happen again" then in all honesty I think the answer has to be yes, since cracks in gearbox components are very difficult to find until you strip down the gearbox - they don't release significant chips and HUMS is not very good at detecting them.

However you also have to ask yourself the probability of that happening. Bearing in mind its the first such event on an AS332L/L2/225 that I am aware of, and the fleet hours runs to tens of millions of hours, you will almost certainly die another way, such as from a road accident, from cancer, from an injury offshore, from a stabbing on Union St on Saturday night etc.

16 people died in a tragic accident, but how many more people that have worked offshore are now dead - surely it must be thousands, many having died of that fatal disease called old age, and a good number from work injuries offshore (more than in all helicopter accidents)

Perhaps I am not being comforting, but life is dangerous and fragile and all we can do is to try to maximise safety and avoid taking unnecessary risks. You can be sure that those of us driving up front try to do just that. Despite the risk of an undetected gearbox crack, offshore helicopters including the L2 are very safe. Its just that there is no such thing as absolute safety.

HC