PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliner destroyed landing short after holding for a Cb. 100 survivors.
Old 6th May 2002, 04:26
Slasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAC Ive no doubt the MNL encounter was a microburst and the SIN event was very microburst-like. Of course I didnt notice the TAT at the time but it wouldve been interesting to see what numbers were there.

In both cases it wasnt like a sudden rapid increase in sink rate and loss of airspeed but more a sudden feeling of the aircraft rapidly trying to depart from under your bum. It was like your seat suddenley falling away from under you and your arse needing time to catch up. This feeling registered just at the onset of airspeed decay followed by GPWS "windshear!" activation. And believe me the sudden nose-down tendencey of an aircraft that was previously in-trim 30-40kts faster is bloodey terrifying.

Must admit both encounters rattled me a bit (screaming GPWS "windshear!" "sink rate!" "glide-slope! whoop whoop pull up!" didnt help at the time!) and took a while before I was "brave" enough to make approaches in realy crappey tropical wx again.

PS Oh and sorry it was 550ft recovery-height in SIN not 350ft as previousley stated.