PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Careers In The Balance
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2009, 22:03
Obama57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATY Aside from your less than cordial reply and sketchy facts of history, your posting misses my point - the airline business is in a race to the bottom.
The CAL pilots of the early '80's decided to withhold their services from Lorenzo, et al, because they thought that abrogation of their contract without due cause was worthy of a strike. They were very solid and sadly, soon out of work, and in many cases, out of work forever. It doesn't matter that they (or you) are 'right', it only matters that you win. History has not been kind to the pilots. I don't see how this fight will end up any other way but for management to win. As someone eloquently stated above, you have two choices; withhold your services and suffer the consequences or adjust to the new reality.
As for your comment about me being naïve, I would offer that as proof that you still do not grasp the nature of the beast. Every downward push to a competitor’s pilot contract absolutely affects yours. It doesn’t matter the cause, be it bankruptcy, economic scares, weak union, strong management, whatever. The result is the same to you – management can pay you less money and make you work harder for it.