PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Cadet Pilot Training Assessment 2009
Old 10th Apr 2009, 21:15
PIREP 123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okees,

How can you say that it doesn't add up? Have you got EY's financial records to go by? As someone has already said, they can't forecast (accurately enough) for next year so they don't know (now) if it would be feasable to carry on with the program then. What other reason do you think they would have? What do you think could be another reason? They still have MANY aeroplanes that are going to be delivered and that costs money! New routes have been (and continue to be) added which is a financial risk too! There are so many variables to take into consideration you couldn't just fixate on ONE reason; unless you call that reason MONEY!

Do you know how much it costs Etihad to fill a course as opposed to recruiting already-type-rated and experienced pilots? I don't know exactly, but I am sure they would save millions of Dirhams!! Yes millions!! Etihad was started by royal decree but the government doesn't actively participate in the running of the airline therfore it isn't (even though it could if it wanted to) going to inject massive amounts of money into it just to keep a Cadet Scheme running. The probable reason for them NOT cancelling JHB is that they have already budgeted for this year, last year. Now they are budgeting for next year. Etihad is doing ALL us budding pilots a favour here so I don't think you are in a position to judge their reasons for cancelling a few assessments. They said it's not definitely closing forever, just postponed (for the time being).

I just want to add that I have no idea if any of my theories above are correct but that is how I perceive the situation...

By the way, you CAN apply with a PPL!

Last edited by PIREP 123; 12th Apr 2009 at 13:49.