PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC History
Thread: ATC History
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2009, 20:35
windowjob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cor blimey, some good old memories coming out here!
For my pennorth, ATCA at Barton Hall when the NOTAM was issued as the beer lorry couldn't deliver to the famous Club as the little bridge over the stream up the drive collapsed.
Sopley did have both a type 80 and 264 plus noddies (height finders) which were accurate plus or minus 5,000ft when I was there in the early 70's as a Cadet.
There was an S650 on the old BA car park but they could never get a good enough picture so it was never really used. The old original ASMI went to the science museum but Tels had to send a raiding party for bits to make it's replacement work.
JK worked? Never, he provided the entertainment.
There used to be a visitors gallery (with full length glass panels) above the Controllers at Heathrow Approach. Was there the day when there was a tight landing gap and the call "window job" went up this was fairly regular and everyone who could, dashed to the window (you could see 28L or R depending on which side of the room you went to) At this time the visitors arrived, looked in and could see no-radar controllers at all as we were all underneath them watching the fun and were mortified.
Happy days, but memories now that I've retired.