PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or BSc, and University Choice (Merged)
Old 5th May 2002, 23:09
Dusty_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineering is tough. In Arabian countries, an Engineer is refered to by that title, like a Doctor or Professor is over here. But the title 'Engineer' has been devalued by washing machine fixers calling themselves Engineers.

(I jump down anyone's throat if they call themselves an Engineer when they are not.... you'd be pissed of if you called a doctor in the Yellow Pages only to find out that he's got a St. Johns First Aid Certificate).

But I digress!

Engineering is hard work, with lots of lectures and lab time. It is a great degree to have (BEng is much better than BA or BSc ), but if your ambition is to be a pilot (an not be an engineer), don't fall into the trap of thinking that Aeroengineering will help you. In the long run it probably doesn't, because you work your nuts off doing the academics instead of having fun and going flying.

I changed my course in week 7 from Aero Mechanical Systems to Software Engineering because it gave me a slacker timetable, and enabled me to go flying. With Aero, I had just 3 timetable periods (55mins) and Wednesday afternoons off each week. Software gave me two whole afternoons, and a couple of midmorning slots off each week. That was a slack timetable at RMCS Cranfield (they have to keep those Army Officers busy doing something, can't be trusted by themselves)!
One of the other studes on the Squadron spent three days a week at the airfield in his second year (Philosophy, Oxford). When a Reading Stude appologised to the Boss in the ops room for having 3 hours of lectures that week, and having to miss a day at the airfield, the Boss saw my face and suggested that the other guy leave the room quick!

If you choose Engineering, be very sure that you will have the time, energy and motivation to see it through to be an engineer - not just to be a Pilot. If being a pilot doesn't work out, you'll be falling back on your degree (like me).

If the Guildhall course had been available when I was filling in the UCAS form, it would have been my first choice.

This is my penny, my experience. I'll get flamed by others who have done Engineering, succeeded, and thoughorly enjoyed it. Perhaps they have forgotten how many people started their course in the first year, and how many actually stuck with it and passed first time in their third year. Less than 50% did in my year.