PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europe and Asian airlines grow whilst standards fall
Old 10th Apr 2009, 13:14
foresight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you see the conflict of interest here
I have,in the past, had my eyes opened to what can happen when an airline has a close relationship with a TRTO company. I was acting as safety pilot for a guy who,to put it mildly, was struggling and whose english was simply not up to understanding anything on the radio. OK there were two experienced captains on the flight deck but this guy was a total menace and should not have been released to operate on a public transport flight. I won’t go into the details of that day but it was appalling. It appeared that the money he was paying completely outweighed the ethics - safety was being severely compromised for financial gain in the most cynical manner. As a captain, I did not normally act as safety pilot but ,talking to others, mine was not an isolated case. The training captain involved was very uncomfortable but was ‘following orders’. It was my last flight with that company.

The vast majority of low hours guys are, in my experience, pretty capable and some are outstanding. However the system will continue to stink without more stringent oversight. I would suggest at least an independent assessment in the sim prior to release to line training. Safety can be compromised and unsuitable people are being taken for a ride for financial gain.

Luckily I am of an age where, once I had my CPL, I never had to pay for any type rating or training myself. In other words, I had to prove myself to my employer. Those were the days.