PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europe and Asian airlines grow whilst standards fall
Old 10th Apr 2009, 12:12
in my last airline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBD

Hi, no not an instructor in GA but more than 15k hours B737 time and now corporate.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see the low houred pilots getting airborne and wouldn't want to see this route cut out all together, just regulated better. There are some very shoddy TRTO's out there turning out poorly prepared airline pilots, these pilots then may end up in marginal carriers (whose countries and carriers feature here regularly) and end up being a liability for several years. My recommendation is simply to try and persuade the purse string pullers and bean counters that good training and retention will be rewarded by lower insurance premiums, less loss of face, customer loyalty and less fatal accidents.

Obviously my recommendations will slow the throughput of new type ratings but that is my price for enhanced safety in an industry that is not looking too clever on the passenger fatality side of things.

The regulator decides who has achieved the standard for holding a CPL but they don't care about the suitability of that individual to actually operate as an airline pilot, that is down to the selection process of the airlines which, when they get an FO for free is negligible (most of the time). Do you see the conflict of interest here BBD?