PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATIS temperature measurement.
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2009, 08:21
Otterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if I am not being clear Glueball. This 1,500 kilograms is payload, read revenue. Not sure if you are active in this business, there are a lot of people on pprune who’s “profile” is more closely matched to their dreams than their reality. Fudging the books is not the way we do business at my airline, hope it is not at yours.

This whole study that is being done is to come to a updated clear definition, for our operation, on what are the valid conditions for our performance calculations. We are not certain the temperature measurement at some stations is of sufficient quality. Partly because of the departure being just after dusk (the ones I visited certainly don’t meet the ICAO ANNEX III that is being quoted). My enquiry here is to use the vast differences in expertise that is present on pprune. Of course there are many who feel they have something useful to contribute but are sadly mistaken.

Our meteorological department has created a program (running for three years now) to determine the projected weather condition at any given station based on actual weather conditions, forecasts, historical and statistical data. This does not only encompass the temperature, but also the wind and QNH. This allows our load control department to make a fairly accurate projection of the available load about six hours before the flight leaves. As crew, we come on board, and make a quick calculation to determine the maximum performance limited weight (using our electronic flight bag). This will allow the fine tweaking of the load. Either by being able to upload more last minute cargo, or is some cases to off-load some cargo. This is part of our load optimization program.

The airline business is such a solid model, that indeed this revenue translates into a competitive advantage. Something I hope is on the mind of pilots. The time of flying being a purely technical exercise of getting an aircraft from A to B is part of the past. A lot more is required of a modern airline pilot.

As a frame of reference. The airline industry as a whole broke even from the time the first revenue paying passenger/cargo/mail got onto an aircraft up until the end of 2007. This means not a single dollar, euro, or yen was made in this terrific business. The losses since the end of 2007 have exacerbated the situation even more.

The margins are so tight that the survivors in this business indeed make the difference on the outer edge of the business model, hence all the efforts being expanded on such a “measly” number. Doing the same as everyone else is a sure road to extinction.

I thank all constructive contributors to this thread. I certainly will use some of the material that was written.