PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar announces domestic NZ operations
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2009, 06:56
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fruet Mich
...Australia across the board has cheaper food, rent, clothing, fuel, transport and most probably by in large cheaper to live in every aspect in life compared to NewZealand...
I have no idea where you are getting your figures from FM -of for that matter, which planet you are on, but let me tell you for a fact the cost of living in AUS is far in excess of anything you may be paying in NZ. I've been here (AUS) now for 8 years and I reckon conservatively I pay a 30-40% premium for living & working in the West Island. The "cheap food" you tout is consistently of a poorer standard, less variety and vastly more expensive, particularly meat. The food standard in your average NZ supermarket is beyond what you might be able to find in a delicatessen here. Rents? I've been obliged in the past to pay AUD$180 per week for a dorm bed shared with 8 others in a backpackers -it was all I could find or afford. Cheaper how? Clothing? I pay in AUD roughly the same as I would pay in NZ for a comparable item. Not cheaper at all. Fuel? The oil companies here regularly jack the price of a litre of fuel on holiday weekends, school holidays etc., just to gouge as much as they can out of the motorist. I've never seen that happen in NZ. Further, in NZ wherever I pull in to buy fuel I know within a few cents per litre what I'll be paying. Not here! There can be as much as 30-40c per litre difference between the SYD price and what I pay locally 2 hours up the road!!! Go into the country, you'll be guessing what dollar you are going to be paying.

That's just a few of the things I noticed on a trip home just a few weeks ago.

Please FM, try to establish some facts before you post drivel like that again. Your prejudices are showing.