PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 10th Apr 2009, 00:26
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm totally amazed that Robert survived the impact, to me this is nothing short of a miracle. I know the S-92a seats are designed to reduce impact, but if the helo did indeed hit the water with a 20g force this is unbelievable.

I'm really glad that some of the real facts are coming out now, there's been so many rumours e.g. that Robert jumped out before impact.

Does anyone know what the maximum survivable impact force is supposed to be for this helo? How do we safeguard to ensure that the landing is soft enough to survive and the helo stays upright long enough to get into the life-rafts? Shear-pin type main rotor bearing to allow auto-rotate with complete MGB failure? Improved flotation devices to cope with Grand Banks sea states? Will HUBA's become mandatory now to cope with cold-water shock?

Robert, here's to your continuing recovery and hopefully more recollections to help the TSB work this one out.