PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 22:50
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a layman, was aircrew but not a driver, the situation with engine life, and operating with maximum power can be clearly seen in the situation of commercial flying and military flying.

In the military, where often it is performance that is sought, the engine life even of the same type and brand of engine, is greatly different between an engine which is operated commercially than one used by the military. However even in a military situation the use of maximum power is restricted to situations where it is absolutely required. In spite of that situation, engines on service aircraft never get to the time hung on the wing with a civilian one and are often changed long before the normal operating limits.

Again to the layman, it is not a requirement to run at maximum power, I mean after all when looks at different models of the same airframe, but one running a different brand of engine to another, there also a different level of power level for take off, does this mean that the available power on the lower powered airplane makes it unsafe. The answer must be that the the airplane if operated within its envelope is quite safe.

My experience with accidents, is that they are seldom caused by one factor.

An example.

Aircraft overloaded for what ever reason, but unknown to the crew.

The crew perhaps tired because of turn around times and or poor sleeping arrangements.

A miscalculation on the take off requirements either as an combination or part of the above.

A lack of understanding about what was going on, my understanding is that the tail on this flight contacted the runway three times, and the associated problems that caused, including the lack of acceleration.

The lack of understanding by management of their directions.

Yes it is easy to blame the crew, but some of the factors I am sure in this case where either beyond their control or not in their knowledge sector.

The operator has "sacked" the crew, but has it fixed the problem, the answer I suspect is NO.

The crew who have departed, will now be better pilots because of this incident, and I would have been using them to improve and bring about better standards than showing them the door. Perhaps the answer is that the wrong people were sacked.

Hope they turn up with a better job with a better airline.

Regards

Col