PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 19:48
atceng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automation failed the pilots.

I feel ,like the naked emperor but you proffessional pilots insist on hair shirts and blaming the aircrew.

As a proffessional control engineer (industrial) I have no hesitation in saying that the automation concept was prima facie to blame, and I am ashamed that such a tragic system was designed.

The automation FAILED, the pilots were RELYING on it and you must always be able to rely on it,until it detects a problem,announces it and relinquishes control. Any system which does not do this shoud never be installed in anything serious.

If the trim in my puddle jumper motors uninvited to full extent while I'm on a bumpy crosswind sun in eyes final over turb ridden sheds am I to blame for losing attitude control?
NO, I blame the b faulty switch and miniscule indicator,and more importantly the CONCEPT which motorised away my absolute authority over pitch,while I was otherwise occupied.

The architecture of this 'automatic' control is pathetic.
One RA should be in control of all parameters,any deviations would then affect all controlled functions,and there would be no need to spend invaluable time and distraction in trying to puzzle why some functions are OK and others incorrect,spurious alarms going off etc due to RAs inputting to different elements of control,and the pilots understandably unaware of what controls what,probably 'cos no one told them.

The other RA should input check data and when the two RAs differ beyond a certain amount,zowie,announce problem,hand back control.

atceng (retd)

Last edited by atceng; 9th Apr 2009 at 19:54. Reason: keyboard errors