PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Wheels-up Trial in China Lake?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 18:53
CirrusF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been a very interesting thread. I'd guess that not one in a hundred posters here has seen a Typhoon cockpit, and probably less than one in a thousand has any access to the facts of this incident. Nevertheless, various people have blamed the pilot or the design, or both, and have advocated stopping pay or even, somehow, pulled Prince William into the debate.

Give it a rest! I know it's rumour network, but this is beyond a joke. Accept it, you don't know what happened and for most of you, you never will.
You appear to be suggesting that this incident might not have been pilot error, and that you perhaps have some sort of insider knowledge to suggest that we should not pre-judge the pilot.

I have no idea about the inside of a Typhoon cockpit, but I assume that in a £69m(?) jet there are are at least the same level of systems to warn the pilot of a potential wheels up landing that exist in a 1950s vintage steam powered piston single? Even in the highly unlikely case that these systems failed, in most aircraft the pilot can hear the gear extending, then feel the change in position of the centre of drag both longitudinally (by change of yaw trim) and vertically (by change of pitch trim). So is the Typhoon is exceptional? I doubt it, but await to be proved wrong..

The airframe in happier days:
ZJ943 - Royal Air Force - Eurofighter EF-2000 Typhoon FGR.4 - Planespotters.net Just Aviation

Last edited by CirrusF; 9th Apr 2009 at 19:28.