PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 18:49
TommyOv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Cliff and Reg!

Cliff and Reg, thanks to you both for your very comprehensive replies; really interesting as usual, and also it's nice to have your questions answered in such a thoughtful manner.

The way that the RAF evolved from its formation through to its post-war guise is something that interests me...from being the most junior service it seems that it went through numerous 'attitude changes' (for want of a better description) in a very short space of time. I think you got it about right Reg when you mentioned the importance of the technical trades to the increasingly complex post-war RAF...I think that this may have gone some way to helping break the social barriers, as it were, that may have existed pre-war.

I suppose that discipline (perhaps "formalities" would be a better term?) must have been harder, and perhaps to an extent counter-productive, to enforce on a largely non-volunteer force - however enthusuastic that force was about winning the war. And - as Cliff says - rank didn't mean so much in the air. Perhaps it was easier to re-introduce pre-war rules and codes as people were de-mobilised, and the ratio of conscripts/volunteers shifted once again?

There's probably a University thesis in there somewhere....

...but I shall let you both get on with your stories! Many thanks again gents.