PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part M - CAMO - etc
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 17:10
jxk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a comparison, under EASA I am facing:

Prop Overhaul for a prop that has 700 hours on it from new.
Mag overhauls because they are over 500 hours
Vac pump replacement at 500 hours
Seat belts replacing as they are 10 years
Static lines replacing
I believe even under N reg rules all of the above items are still required and it is a US manufacturers specification that demands that they be done. In effect EASA are just implementing what the US manufacturers edict in the first place. It is still within the scope of a part G organisation to extend the life on some of these items although it may not be sensible for them to do so. If your maintenance is based on the LAMP and is an acceptable method of compliance then in some incidences it can give you a little more latitude than working to the manufacturers schedule.
To go back on the N reg should/will require a complete investigation of all your previous maintenance and little things like non standard upholstery will require you to prove that it meets fireproof standards.
Of course if you find a UK based IA who is prepared to overlook some of the above it no different to a dodgy maintenance outfit in the UK.

It would seem to me that the only reason to go on the N reg would be to allow you to fly using an American IR; which would seem a little less daunting to obtain than the UK IR.