PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1 eng to ATPL
Thread: B1 eng to ATPL
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 16:06
Flying Torquewrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DS,

Work for Monarch.

As you already said it is impossible to predict if you get a job after gaining your ATPL. Certainly at this moment with the current economic crisis. When the situation improves the experienced pilots will most probably be the first ones to get back into the business.

If I were you I would take my time in getting my ATPL and in the menatime do some networking with regards to jobs. Don't know were you work now but is it possible to move within the organisation? (if it is an airline you work for)

It is a great job and I really enjoy it. However an experienced engineer with a repituble company earns more than a First Officer.

And at your age (sorry) I wouldn't take up a loan of around £80k to get into this profession. Please don't get me wrong I am not painting a doom and gloom picture but T's & C's are constantly under attack as you are well aware of.

If you can get your ATPL without losing your job and getting a huge loan then by all means give it a go. Better to say in 20 years that you have tried and it didn't work then regret that you never tried it.

FT