PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What can I do with a helicopter?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 15:38
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As your previous fixed wing instructors may have said to you when they checked you out on a new machine, "this is a licence to learn".

With 17,000 hours of airline flying I picked up helicopters late in life. It is a young mans sport, so if you are near 50 expect to double every hours requirement in the book. Also you will find that capable 21 year old instructors will tell you that you are ready to go solo. Politely decline, and go solo when you know with your fixed wing experience that you feel ready.

The R44 is an excellent training machine if you can afford it. Frank Robinson agrees with enthusiasm.

What to do with the licence? Just keep learning. The self development that you feel as you master certain aspects of the machine will keep you in a positive personal development stage for years. Try doing all the endorsement add ons that you can find. Go to Torrance and do the safety course. (It is done locally in your country but the pilgrimage to TOA will stay with you, and you meet interesting people.)

Australia will give you low flying, America (and many other interesting countries like South Africa or New Zealand) will give you mountain endorsements. Do a night rating. Learn to make an ADF approach in an R22 with a fixed card relative bearing indicator. Plan a 3 day cross country to Scotland.

On this forum years ago a wise man said, "try to fly as many different machines as you can." That has been very good advice, I get both sound experience and immense personal satisfaction for every extra type rating on my licence.

Go for it. This life is not a rehearsal.