PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night offshore landings: a new approach?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 13:07
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
EXTRACT FROM AIIB BULLETIN INTO 225 CRASH

Since the accident, the operator has amended the procedures in its Operations Manual for offshore night operations.
For night visual approaches Stable Approach Configuration (SAC) criteria have been specified.
They are to be met by a Visual Gate Point, 2 nm from the destination installation or vessel.

In addition:
‘if at any time after the Visual Gate Point visual contact with the installation/vessel is lost or becomes uncertain, a Go-around is mandatory.’

I am left utterly speechless that the combined brains of the AAIB and the CAA think that the above is sufficient to prevent a further re-occurence of the incident.

The above singularly fails:

TO RECOGNISE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MAPT AND THE FDP/CTB

TO MANDATE LEVEL FLIGHT AT MDH FROM THE MAPT TO THE FDP/CTB

TO ADDRESS AT ALL THE INADEQUATE AMO0UNT OF SPACE ABOVE THE DECK PRESENTED BY AN MDH (ARA) OF DECK + 50 FEET

TO ADDRESS AT ALL THE REQUIREMENT FOR A PROPER, MANDATED, PUBLISHED PROFILE - LEADING TO PUBLISHED MANDATORY INTERVENTION PARAMETERS AND POLICIES without which the NHP is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, left to rely only on his common sense, experience and ever the victim of the severity of the cockpit gradient.

COME ON AIIB & CAA If thats the best you can do I need a TAX rebate!!!

I have sent the presnetation to about 600 people worldwide from all companies, agencies, safety organsiation and training orgainistaions.

I have not had one negative response and the general trend has been "Why has this not been done already"

If the combined planet sized brains of the AAIB and CAA result in the above reccomendations then god help us all.

Fingers out guys before we have another one!!!!