PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is there an ATCO shortage
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 11:41
ayrprox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in answer to your questions
i would have said less than 3000 controllers in the uk
the numbers from the college seem about right, but not all of those that pass out from the college will validate and become usable. it may have improved but the failure rate used to be as high as 40%.
because of the recuitment strategy of the company in the past you have the situation at the moment where you have groups of people all multi valid reaching or close to retirement, so whilst, on paper, you may have the same number of people, topped up my new recruits, the replacements are only single valid so you are, overall down on total validations , which decreases flexibility.
as for movement abroad, again its a big decision. i think there has been a recent increase in people investigating their options due to the closing of the manchester centre as well as the pension rethink. one of the big plusses to staying was the fact that the pension was cast iron. unfortunately that is not the case anymore especially for those just joining. other companies offer pay and benefits just as good , if not, better if you are thinking of moving. but pay is not the only factor to consider, so maybe there will be more people move, maybe not.
This company seems soo money orientated now. its a for profit business, maybe we should think the same. want someone to be an examiner or lce ? then make sure its properly renumerated, otherwise no. want me to volunteer to do a project? where's my bonus? .
in reality, i have to concur with privatesandwiches. Ever since this company went from being a non profit entity, to one whose mantra seems to be 'profit is king' its gone downhill. Now, the bonus culture that has brought soo much trouble to the financial institutions worldwide seems to be prevalent in the company.frontline staff, controllers and engineers etc. seem to be viewed as more of a hinderence to the profit making opportunties of the company, than an asset. they seem to have totally forgotten that without us, there is NO profit. unfortunately, as far as i see it, after the pension vote, which i know was a fully democratic decision (and i have serious misgivings about the low turnout). anyway after that result the union is a toothless tiger. if we weren't willing to act on the holy grail subject of pensions then we never will. management know it and will take full advantage of it. its one of the reasons that there is still no pay deal, i think. At every opportunity they will play hardball because they think we will not have the will for a fight. and up to now they have been proved spot on.

anyway i'm beginning to veer into rant mode mode now which is of no use. i dont mean to sound so negative you are entering a good profession. you will find the people you work with are a good laugh, just come into the company with your eyes wide open. enjoy the college. its hard work but if you apply yourself correctly , or have a photographic memory you'll do fine. get that first validation under your belt. that should be your goal. best of luck