PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR IMC Flying
Thread: IFR IMC Flying
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 11:09
spikeair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand your aprehension. I've 'only' got a IMC rating but do enjoy using it.
My training as it worked out ended being in VMC conditions with a hood so by the time I passed by IMC exam, I hadn't actually flown in real IMC at all.
So when the oppotunity came to fly for real in IMC, I took alon my instructor just as a safety pilot. It all worked out ok and improved my confidence.
the next flight was again a deliberate IFR one with the cloud base at about 3000feet. however whilst in that cloud , it was incredibly bumpy and I was struggling to maintain my altitude clibimg 200 feet and then descending 200 feet in a few seconds or so. Felt like a fairground ride. I thought that I had perhaps bitten off more thna I could chew and after a while requested a descent to become VMC. Quite frightening at the time but glad I did it.
I think as otehrs have said the key is building up gradually, starting off with high cloud bases so have an optionto get out or perhaps days where you are in an out of the clouds so you're not IMC for too long at a time.
I now really love IMC flying m I find it so much more rewarding .