PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night offshore landings: a new approach?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 10:08
Burr Styers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Deck landings

Reading this thread with interest. Have done the offshore thing N Sea, Single pilot night ops, shuttling etc. Now working in flight safety. One thing that you may want to consider in evaluating approaches to installations, irrespective of time of day, is your companys Flight data monitoring programme (FDM), or for those across the pond FOQA.

This will have objective data about approaches to offshore installations, and with todays interprative software, it would be very easy to see what profiles are actually being flown, versus pilots recollections of what they thought they flew - usually two different things.

This should be an area rich in data that could be used in a constuctive way, to benefit the safety, particularly of night ops to a helideck, which I think those who have done this will agree, is the most demanding discipline that you have to master.

I think those organisations that have a helicopter FDM programme, and conduct night operations, might wish to consider some depth analysis (if they haven't already) of what is actually being flown.

It could well be that what it finds, concurs with what is trained/SOP. It could also thorugh up some interesting material.

I suggest this, as nobody else on the thread has mentioned it yet, nor does it seem to have much currency in the helicopter forum - which is a bit suprising.

My three penneth

BS