PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do Well Sell Ourselves So Short????
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 04:16
paddy23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Do Well Sell Ourselves So Short????

Ladies and Gentleman,

There is so much discussion on various topics on this entire website.So much so that, in my opinion, we have lost sight of the real issues for pilots.

Lets make a comparison.

Hi my name is Mike I have recently qualified as a surgon after seven years. I am currently working on a specialty. We perform three plus surgeries a week. I am very happy as I love my job and my salery is heading well into the six figures once I gain a good repuation. My major concern is if I screw up someday someone might die!!! but at least if I did my best I will be ok.

Hi my name is John and I have recently qualified as a captain with a well known low cost airline. While I am enjoying it I am finding that my capacity to deal with situations is been streched due to the fact I am flying with inexpierenced first officers who dont seam to care as much as i did.
Also my financial situation is not great at the moment as I am still paying a 80k(average) euro loan for my training plus the recent 5k expense to get my promotion.
BUT my main worry every night is the fact that if I make a mistake it could result in nearly 200 hundred people dying including me. Never mind the national papers looking over our shoulders ever day trying to disgrace us.
I long for some proper respect for my skills.

Guys this is the reality. We are trusted with the lives of a lot of people every day. It is not worth it unless we are been properly compensated. We need to stand together to stop the destruction of our career. SOMEDAY SOON IT WILL BE BETTER TO BE DRIVING A BUS AROUND LONDON.

For all potential command upgrades its not worth it with the current terms on offer!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rant over please discuss