PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Hours: what do they mean?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2002, 13:33
Code Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying hours are easy to measure, whereas the other facets of an aviators career are less so - except perhaps types flown. I suspect that's why they're measured. Taken in isolation they tell you little, except perhaps as an indicator that the person took some effort over their flying roughly proportional to those hours flown.

Personally, I hope that looking back over my log book, each hour is a different experience than those preceeding or following. I would be disappointed to have page after page of identical hours. I accept that most of the time there is a lot of routine , but I make an effort to introduce some variety if circumstances allow - take a different plane or a different route to somewhere new.

The fact you're concerned about what these hours means at all would suggest to me that you make the effort over your flying.

BTW I agree about negative marks for GPS X-country. When flying for fun I switch my GPS off and do it the old fashioned way. I got so slack just following the line on the map.

Rgds
CB