PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jail and 10-year ban for Thomson pilot!
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2009, 19:00
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICE PACK i suggest you re-read my post carefully!

For WHATEVER reason, this pilot imbibed excess alcohol between duty-periods.

The putative consequences of this action are :-

Risking damage to the employer's reputation.
Risking damage to the employer's (very expensive) aircraft.
Risking the lives of fellow flight -crew
Risking the lives of a large number of fare-paying passengers.
Risking the lives of anyone this aircraft, it's parts or fuel-load struck.
Risking the employment which supports self and family and home.

Not to mention the social stigma of being caught alcohol-impairedwith the resultant potential fallout.

NO, I DON'T HATE PILOTS. BUT I have little time for selfish, thoughtless irresponsible people who jeapordise others by those actions, WHERE THOSE OTHERS ARE NOT FREE PARTICIPANTS IN THAT ACTION.

For instance, I've no problem with the Aussie aerobatic pilot who recently died.

He knew the risks, family and friends accepted it..he lucked-out.
the single, unattached person who takes up free-climbing, wing-suit alp-grazing, bungee -jumping and the like....that's a contract between them and their friends/relatives.......
but when they endanger UNWITTING bystanders, -that's another ball-game.

Does this make it clearer?....this guy relied on the goodwill of others, to carry the risk of flying with him....they weren't GIVEN the option to refuse (not by him)
wisely, someone TOOK that option.

Sure, thousands of flights have taken place with impaired aircrew (not talking about military with a +50% chance of not returning anyway,)
but today , that is not acceptable, neither is it acceptable to expect an unsuspecting colleague to shoulder the burden of "carrying " you.

NOT Holier than thou......but obviously a damned sight more CONSIDERATE and RESPONSIBLE than thou.