PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Pilot Jailed
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2009, 11:22
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparisons

Jaded boiler, my only reason for making comment on the QF Bangkok overrun was to point out that even in a prestigious airline like Qantas, with it's enviable safety record, mistakes which have the potential to end in the loss of an aircraft and death or injury to those on board can and have been made. Of course the level of incompetence and the dereliction of duty by the Garuda Captain could not be compared to the Qantas accident, nor do I make that comparison. That said however, the enquiry into the Qantas accident did point out deficiencies in the Qantas training system, deficiencies in the Operational aspects in terms of the use of 25 flap/idle reverse thrust in the prevailing conditions and also inadequacies in the CRM training provided. Some posters to this forum have called for the Garuda F/O's head. I have merely tried to point out that given the culture which prevails within many Asian airline crews and the likelihood that any attempt by the F/O to take control from the Captain, especially late in the approach, could have had led to an even more catastrophic outcome. Rather than "baying for blood" we should all be prepared to accept that none of us is infallible and that we can all learn from both the Qantas and Garuda accidents. QF 1 was not just a case of being victims of circumstance, they were also victims of not giving sufficient consideration to the prevailing weather and the most appropriate configuration for landing in those conditions. A degree of poor communication between the two control pilots was also evident. I am sure Qantas will have addressed those issues mentioned. I am not so sure about Garuda doing the same in the aftermath of their accident.