PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair 737 Rating?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2002, 10:48
Liquid Lunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In reply to TDD

Before I start I would like to say that I don’t work for Ryanair.

Stepping back and having a look.
The traditional way of getting the interview doing the type rating, line training and then employment is the way that most airlines work. You are then bonded for about 3 years where you pay back for the type rating and line training. If you leave within that period you have to pay from your own pocket the remainder, fair enough.

With Ryanair, as painful as it may be, you pay 15,000 + VAT for the type rating up front. The line training you do you do not pay for unless you leave during the line training and then you have to give back stg 90 pounds Sterling per sector, fair enough. Once you have finished line training you have a choice, you can carry on with Ryanair if they employ you or you can leave and join someone else without repaying for anything more, there is no bond, you’re a free agent to do what you like, this could be an advantage for some.

So you see, in either case you pay for the training and no one is forcing anyone to either go the traditional route or to pay 15k upfront, the choice is entirely yours. If you don’t like it don’t do it and I don’t see what the unions have to do with any of this, you’re not forced to do any of the above.

All the best,

LL